Thousands have gathered in Yangon and Mandalay, while water cannon was deployed within the capital Nay Pyi Taw.

It comes each day after Myanmar saw its largest protest in additional than a decade.

The military seized power during a coup after claiming without evidence that an earlier election was fraudulent.

They also declared a year-long state of emergency in Myanmar, also referred to as Burma, and power has been handed over to commander-in-chief Min Aung Hlaing.

Ms Suu Kyi and senior leaders of her National League for Democracy Party (NLD), including President Win Myint, are anesthetize confinement .

READ  Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised by unknown miscreants in the US

‘We aren’t getting to work’, Workers says

By Monday morning, tens of thousands of individuals had gathered in Nay Pyi Taw, with other cities also reporting significant numbers, consistent with BBC Burmese.

The protesters include teachers, lawyers, bank officers and government workers. A few thousand teachers are marching from a township in Yangon towards the Sule Pagoda within the heart of Myanmar’s main city.

Online, there have been also calls asking workers to skip work to protest.

“This may be a work day, but we aren’t getting to work albeit our salary are going to be cut,” one protester, 28-year-old garment mill-hand , Hnin Thazin, told press agency AFP.

READ  US Election Results Updates: Joe Biden will be 46th President of the United States,Kamala Harris makes history as the first vice president

In Nay Pyi Taw, police used water cannon on protesters and there have been reports of a couple of injuries.

There were no other immediate reports of violence.

Some videos showed large crowds holding placards and chanting as they walked through the streets.


Earlier last week, Myanmar’s military seized control following a election which saw the NLD party win by a landslide.

READ  U.S. on Myanmar in contact with countries like India and Japan: official State Department official

The soldiers had backed the opposition, who were demanding a rerun of the vote, claiming widespread fraud.

The committee said there was no evidence to support these claims.

The coup was staged as a replacement session of parliament was set to open.

The military has replaced ministers and deputies, including in finance, health, the inside and foreign affairs.

It also blocked access to Facebook, which is widely used across the country, Twitter and Instagram.

But that did not stop large nationwide protests on Saturday and Sunday – which saw the country’s largest protests since the so-called Saffron Revolution in 2007, when thousands of the country’s monks rose up against the military regime.